Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Technological Classrooms

Technology. Could you imagine the world without it?
 
It's scary to think what it would be like if there was no technology, because technology has made working in the world so much easier.  As an education major, I mainly think of how technology makes working as a teacher less stressful and benefits learning in the classroom. Technology can be such a helpful tool when used in the right way and at the right time. Although I think technology should be used very often in the classroom, I do have some fears.
First - Will using technology in the classroom be just as effective for every student?
As we all know, every student is different, and everyone learns in different ways. Setting up a classroom environment based on learning through technology, such as using computers or iPads, might not have the same impact on Sally as it does on Joey. Some students may learn more efficiently through old fashion teaching methods, and some students may learn more through using a computer. 
Second - If we as teachers become so technologically based, and one day the technology is not in our favor, will we be able to adjust in the moment?
My concern is that as technology becomes more popular, teachers will lean on the ability to use it more often. If we rely on using technology so much, what will we do if the computers are not working one day? Or what if the SmartBoard freezes? My hope is that as teachers, we will not forget how to teach without technology. 
 


Technology use in the classroom can be very beneficial, but there are some barriers of using technology in schools. Depending on the school budget, your classroom may not have the amount of tech gear you expected. This could change a teacher's methods. Also, depending on the amount of technology in your classroom, there could be barriers. If you have your students in groups of five, but there are only four iPads, then you also have a problem. Likewise, a blockage to technology use could be if the technology is working or not. Some days, the computers, Smartboard, or iPads may not work, and this could effect your teaching instruction. Little things like this can become a barrier to using technology in schools, but although there are barriers, technology is a major role in modern education.  
 

Every day, I am learning how to become a more effective teacher. Using technology in a classroom can help me to reach my goals of being a powerful teacher. Currently, in the class Educational Technology, I am learning about the different areas of technology used in the classroom. My goals of this class are to learn how to most effectively use technology in a classroom. I want to be able to use technology to impact my students for the better, and give them a better learning opportunity. I hope that through this class I can reach my technology goals and use technology in a powerful way in my classroom. Because I couldn't imagine a world without it.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that tech-rich teaching methods may not work for everyone. Tech can be very isolating for students if they are just working one-on-one with a machine. There are certainly ways to use technology in a group setting, but teachers need to be thoughtful about it and make sure that cooperative learning opportunities don't disappear with the introduction of more individual-use machines such as tablet computers.

    ReplyDelete